Friday, December 25, 2009

Me-ri Ku-ri-su-ma-su!


Even the Christmas trees are smaller in Japan

The Festivities for this year's Christmas are over. I had yesterday (Christmas eve) off and I spent the day skype-ing with family then cooking and watching Christmas movies all day.

The weather was BEAUTIFUL yesterday but it was bizarre trying to get into the Christmas mood when I was cooking with the windows open, and running to the corner store without so much as a sweater on. I never thought I would say this, but I really miss the snow and the cold! My good spirits were bolstered when I checked the mail in the afternoon and received a package from home (what perfect timing Ms. Rugg, thank you!!!) After eating quite a bit for supper I went out to Roppongi to a Catholic mass - so I could at least do a little caroling. After I got home, I watched Home Alone 2 with my roommate and ate and drank a little more.

This morning I have to admit I was a bit bitter and depressed - not only a Christmas alone but having to work on Christmas, what was I thinking when agreeing to this schedule?! On the train this morning I got my first creeper too. Some dude totally creeped and sat down RIGHT next to me and stared directly at me; I cranked my ipod and took no (visible) notice and, lucky me, he left in about one station. The day was off to a rocky start.

I've been feeling like this city is a bit soul-less lately and the lack of reverence of Christmas (even though there sure is a commercial presence of the holiday) started to irritate me this morning. Somehow though, my sky is never cloudy for long lately. As soon as I got to work I was laughing and relaxing with students and coworkers alike. It probably helped that it was payday today (Merry Christmas indeed!) but by the end of the day, after we had an international potluck, my mood had changed. Even the students I was not really looking forward to today were incredibly pleasant and the work today flew by.

All in all, I can't possibly be more thankful and sincerely grateful for the people I have. How lucky am I?! I live in this fabulous city, with absolutely no one obliged to support me, but somehow, someway or another, someone always cares.

A few more photos for all you worry-warts *cough*mom*cough* to prove I'm doing ok:


One course of my delicious Christmas Eve dinner, the other two courses being perogies and wild-mushroom soup - all from scratch!


My Christmas gift to myself - REAL COFFEE!!


Christmas dinner - Oishii!



Celebrating Christmas with one of my favourite students

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweetness

Post a Comment