Tuesday, February 23, 2010

February Fun

Recently I've been pretty busy with work but also with meeting friends

The other night I went out for food with one of my favourite students, and even though she speaks barely any english and I speak barely any japanese, somehow we had a hilarious and fabulous night (not to mention the food was AMAZING):



On my first day off this "weekend" (aka Monday and Tuesday) me and some Canadian friends headed out to Yuzawa in Niigata. Niigata is known for good snowboarding and close proximity to Tokyo.

In the morning, to catch the shinkansen (the bullet train) we had to meet at Tokyo station downtown which meant taking the local trains with ALL of my gear at the peak of rush-hour. It was ridiculous - there were definitely a few business men angry with me.


The Shinkansen

We caught the shinkansen out for the day snowboarded/skied and headed back in the evening. The snowboarding was wicked! Exactly what I needed, some time outside, away from the cemented in habitat of Tokyo. Plus, it was the first time I had snowboarded in mountains when it HASN'T been -30. The weather was perfect and the snow pretty fabulous as well.

The main lodge was actually called "Cowabunga station"

I'm giving the peace sign (especially for Jenna)

Snowboarding & a crepe - Could I be any happier?


The Japanese Alps

On the train ride home we relaxed with some beers and snacks. When we got back into Tokyo we met up with another friend for an okonomiyaki supper (which is basically like a traditional japanese veggie/seafood pancake-y thing) and we ended the day off with some karaoke before catching the last train home.

A successful beer run


Okonomiyaki

Now I'm incredibly sore and tired but happy as a clam :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Pola, it looks like you're having an amazing time!!! I'm so jealous! Mark and I were just in Hong Kong and LOVED it - gotta get to Japan next as your pictures are wonderful! Take care and keep on blogging!

-Ashley

Post a Comment