Wednesday, March 10, 2010

natto!

I have discovered the most delicious snack!

Everybody warned me that natto (fermented soybeans) was stinky and quite an acquired taste. Apparently most foreigners don't like this Japanese staple and I've had a few picky-eater kind of students who have told me they don't like it as well.

Imagine my surprise a few weeks ago when I finally ventured to try it and it was so delicious!

Particularly, natto is super good with rice, a touch of soy sauce, and a raw egg all mixed together. This evening (on my roommate's advice) I tried natto in half an avocado and I fell in love.

Plus this wicked awesome snack has loads of apparent health benefits (nattokinase - seriously, that's what the enzyme is called - is supposed to be great for reducing unwanted blood clots). Check out the wikipedia page for more.

here's a photo of my evening snack:


And an adorable video of a little Japanese girl attacking the sticky substance (I look just as cute eating it by the way):

0 comments:

Post a Comment