Wednesday, March 24, 2010

j-pop: the devil's music

Almost every single one of my students, when I ask what music they listen to, tell me they like J-pop. I get it, it's in their own language. BUT OH MY GOD it's the worst music on the planet.

Here's just a sample (I challenge you to get through this complete video):


or the backstreet boys of Japan "Smap":


and then one of my students told me they listen to more "hard-core" stuff and he recommended this band, probably the most hilarious terrible of them all:


another comical dialogue I had with a student:
Me - "what kind of music do you listen to?"
Student - "I like rock"
Me - "Oh! Do you listen to English rock?"
Student - "yes"
Me - "Great, what's your favourite band recently?"
Student - "Ace of Base"

Then again I have the odd student who gives good recommendations, but in the past 6 months of teaching I have only received 2 good recommendations. Check it out:


and this crazy giant Japanese jazz jam band:

0 comments:

Post a Comment