Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Back on the Road

I had a long, kinda crappy couple of days at work so I decided to turn things around today!

This morning I got up and caught a train to Nikko. Nikko is a town about 2 hours North of Tokyo that's renowned for it's historical, religious sightseeing. There is a group of about 5 temples and shrines that are part of a World Heritage Site in the town.

So I splurged a bit on a more rapid train 'cause I woke up a bit late (you didn't think I'd get up early on a day off did you?!) and I got to Nikko in less than one and a half hours while chatting with an older lady and her friends who were heading to Nikko for a spa-day (it's a great place for onsens as well as temples).

Nikko was BEAUTIFUL. It was nice 'cause not only were the temples and shrines breathtaking but it was a day finally OUT OF THE CITY. I forget sometimes how much I miss nature until I'm actually IN a forest. I spent the afternoon walking around temples and their surrounding giant trees. Then I took a break for a soba noodle/tempura shrimp lunch and warmed up. I checked out a few more sights and headed back.

On the train home my energy for travel was definitely rekindled. Seeing a real sunset for the first time in months and rolling through dormant rice fields while studying a bit of Japanese and listening to Neil Young reminded me how much I love to travel and WHY I'M HERE. I can get wrapped up in what's surrounding me really easily and lately I've been working a lot so I've been getting bitter.

Today was a rejuvination...and best of all, I still have tomorrow off as well :)

Check out the photos from today:




The only snow I've seen in months. I had to take a photo

The original "see no, speak no, hear no evil" monkeys.
Who knew that started here?! I sure didn't

Clearly a Tokyo girl
(please note it was about -4 today and
there's about a 30 minute hike to get to these Shrines
...ridiculous)

0 comments:

Post a Comment